Work Center Calendars
Work Centers can help manage resources by grouping them together and applying that group to a specific step in a manufacturing process. Works Centers are static NetSuite groups which are designated as manufacturing work centers. A newer feature in NetSuite allows you to further refine and manage work centers by being able to apply a work calendar to each work center. This can help improve production resource planning.
A work center calendar can be setup before or after a work center is configured. For this example, we will walk through setting up a work calendar first, then a work center group, and finally applying the work calendar.
To setup a work calendar:
- Go to Lists > Employees > Work Calendars > New
- Enter a name for the work calendar. Using a descriptive name to help define when and what the calendar is for can be helpful to users. Example: Packaging Line â€“ Day Shift
- Enter any necessary comments that you believe might be helpful for users.
- On the Working Days subtab:
- Enter a “Start At” time
- Enter the “Hours Per Day”
- Note: work calendars can’t span more than one day. For example: you can’t setup a work calendar that starts at 8:00pm and goes beyond Midnight.
- Check the days of the week that apply to the calendar
- Remember to Save the record
Click image to enlarge
To setup a work center group:
- Go to Lists > Relationships > Groups > New
- Note: if you already have an existing static group that you want to designate as a manufacturing work center, simply edit the group and check the “Manufacturing Work Center” checkbox.
- Choose to create a “Static” group. For the type of members, choose “Employees”
- Enter a name for the group. Try to use something that makes is easy to identify what manufacturing process and/or step this group applies to. For example: Product A Packaging or Quality Inspection Group
- Check the “Manufacturing Work Center” checkbox to make the group available as a work center.
- Complete any of the other header fields as necessary. This can include email address, comments, restrictions, etcâ€¦
- On the Members subtab, add the individual group members.
- On the Manufacturing Work Center Settings subtab:
- Enter the subsidiary (One World systems)
- Enter the number of machine resources. This represents the number of machines operated within this work center.
- Enter the number of labor resources. This represents the number of individual resources that operate within this work center.
- Select the Work Center Calendar from the Work Calendar drop down list
- Remember to Save the record.
Click image to enlarge
This process can be followed for all work centers within the system. Incorporating calendars with work centers can help capacity planning because it provides planners with the visibility to available hours and resources for work order processing at each work center.